Why does my Apple Watch keep pausing my workout?
If you're an Apple Watch user, you'll know just how convenient these little devices can be. They keep you connected, monitor your health, and even galvanize your workouts. But what happens when your trusty wrist companion starts to behave erratically, pausing unexpectedly? Don’t worry it's a problem reported by many users and every user with an Apple Watch Senses your frustration, and it can be quite annoying, to say the least. In this article, we're going to delve into some of the reasons why your Apple Watch might be taking these unscheduled breaks and offer some solutions to get your Apple Watch Workout back on track.
Apple Watch Keeps Pausing Workout - 6 Reasons Why This Could Be Happening
- Inaccurate Wrist Detection: The Apple Watch uses sensors to detect whether it's being worn. If it's not fitted properly to your wrist, the watch might think it's been removed, causing it to pause your current workout. So try to make sure that your Apple Watch Strap is snugly attached, but not too tight so your hand starts to turn blue. Another possible cause may be wrist tattoos, hindering your watch's sensors, therefore it may be a good idea to switch wrists if possible if you have wrist tattoos
- Workout App Setting: If your 'Pause Workout' setting is turned on, your Apple Watch will automatically pause your workout when you stop moving for a bit. Therefore you might want to check the settings of your Workout app and adjust it according to your preference.
- Low Power Mode: When your Apple Watch enters into Power Reserve mode due to low battery, it suspends all its active functionalities, including the Workout app. You can find more information on Apple Watch battery drain here.
- Accidental Touches: Accidental screen touches can pause your workout. This could be due to your workout gear or the way you move during the workout. You can prevent this by enabling Water Lock mode during your workouts.
- Software Glitches: If none of the above seems to be the cause of the issue, it might be a software glitch. Ensure that your watchOS is up to date, or consider resetting your Apple Watch to its factory settings and setting it up again. Always remember to back up your data and your workout reminders before doing this though.
- The Apple Watch auto pause feature may be enabled - Make sure that the auto pause feature is turned off to ensure that your device does not auto pause your workout. To turn this off, head to the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, click "My Watch" then "Workout" then "Auto Pause" and scroll to turn off.
You embark on your daily quest to conquer the treadmill. Your trusty companion, the ever-so-smart Apple Watch, is clipped to your wrist, with the help of your Fitstraps Designer Apple Watch Band, keen to track your every move with the precision of a hawk hunting a rabbit.
Full of faith in technology, you assume your Apple Watch will be the Gandalf to your Frodo, guiding you through your sweat-ridden journey. But alas, your Apple Watch has other plans. Mid-stride, the Watch, like a disgruntled employee on a Friday afternoon, decides to take an unexpected break and throw your end workout reminder into the bin.
But don’t worry, you remember that ever-so-handy Fitstraps article you once read and know exactly what steps to take to get your device firing on all cylinders again.
Apple Watch auto pause during a workout, what do I do?
There are numerous reasons why your Apple Watch might pause a workout, and equally as many fixes. Here's what you can do:
Check your settings: Sometimes, the watch's settings may be configured to pause the workout when you stop moving. To make sure that is off, navigate to the Apple Watch's Workout settings, and ensure 'Running Auto Pause' is turned off if you don't want your workout to pause automatically.
Ensure a snug fit of your Strap: As we mentioned above, your Apple Watch should fit snugly but comfortably on your wrist. If it's too loose, the watch may not be able to record accurate heart rate data, which may cause the workout to pause.
Reset your watch: If the above solutions do not resolve the issue, you might need to reset your watch. Press and hold the side button and Digital Crown simultaneously until you see the Apple logo on the screen. Restarting your device can often solve temporary software glitches.
Update your watch: If your Apple Watch is not updated to the latest software, there may be a bug causing your workouts to pause. Always be sure to check for any available updates in the General section of your Apple Watch settings.
Unpair and re-pair your watch: This is a more drastic step, but if all else fails and you have tried everything above you might consider un-pairing your Apple Watch from your iphone, and then re-pairing it again. This has often been known to resolve more stubborn issues.
Remember, if your Apple Watch is consistently pausing your workouts, and the above tips aren't helping, it may be time to contact the Apple support team or head into an Apple shop and see what advice they are able to give. While the Apple watch is a powerful fitness tool, it's not perfect. However, with a little troubleshooting, you can usually get right back into back to your workouts in no time at all.
The Biggest Mistakes That Users Make on Their Watch App When Trying to Ensure That Their Apple Watch Doesn't Keep Pausing Their Workouts
We all know that Apple Watches are a great tool for tracking workouts, but sometimes, they can be a little too sensitive. If your Apple Watch keeps pausing during your workout session, you're not alone. Here are the most common mistakes that users make in an attempt to fix this problem:
Not Updating the WatchOS: The first big mistake is neglecting to update the WatchOS. Apple regularly releases updates that can fix bugs and improve performance. So, before starting your workout, always ensure your Apple Watch is running on the latest WatchOS.
Wrong Workout Type Selection: Users often select the wrong workout type which can confuse the watch's algorithm. Always choose the accurate workout type to ensure the Apple Watch tracks your activity correctly.
Ignoring Wrist Detection Feature: The wrist detection feature helps the Watch stay connected with your movements. If it's off, your Watch might pause unexpectedly. So head into the settings and make sure it's turned on before you get started on your session.
Not Calibrating the Watch: Your Apple watch needs to be calibrated for more accurate readings. If it's not calibrated correctly, it might pause more often. Follow the instructions below to calibrate your device-
1- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and tap the "My Watch" tab.
2- Tap 'Workout'.
3- Scroll down and tap 'Reset Calibration Data', then tap again to confirm.
4- To recalibrate, take your Apple Watch and iPhone for a walk outside in a flat, open outdoor area that offers good GPS reception and clear skies.
5- On your Apple Watch, tap 'Workout', then choose 'Outdoor Walk' or 'Outdoor Run'.
6- Choose your goal, or select 'Open' to move on without setting a goal.
7- Walk or run at your normal pace for about 20 minutes to calibrate your watch.
Disabling Heart Rate Monitor: Heart rate monitoring is critical to workout tracking. Disabling this feature can cause your watch to pause frequently. So, ensure that this feature is always turned on.
Not Restarting Watch After Update: Not restarting the watch after an update is another common mistake. Always do a restart after an update as this can often fix any minor glitches.
By adhering to these tips and avoiding these common mistakes, you should be able to enjoy a seamless workout experience with your Apple Watch that doesn't keep pausing unintentionally. Remember, your Apple Watch is a tool designed to enhance your workouts, not hinder them, so make sure you are all set before your next workout.
Interruptions in your Apple Watch's tracking during workouts can be a source of frustration, but with an understanding of its potential causes and armed with proactive solutions, you can ensure a smoother, more reliable digital workout companion.
So whether you've got an Apple Watch Series 3 or an Apple Watch Ultra, if your Apple Watch Keeps Pausing you now know exactly what to do. Just as maintaining our physical fitness involves a balance of good habits and avoidance of pitfalls, the same applies to our tech tools. By implementing the fixes we've discussed, taking preventative measures, and steering clear of common mistakes, you can help your Apple Watch function optimally, keeping your focus where it should be—on your workout.